1. How did you get your playa name?
Actually I was called Shin Masta before I come to Playa because friend of mine—they are all Burners, fire spinners, fire dancers, performers—thought Shin Masta was too long and they just turned it to Shin, just to make it easy.
2. What’s the best meal you’ve eaten on the Playa?
Kevin, who is chef of The Pier camp in 2011, made a big meal right next to The Pier camp. He made a 5 course meal for us—that was my favorite meal.
3. In one sentence, what do you actually do all day in your region?
Nowadays I start to build community in Korea, planning and organizing, teaching poi and performing on stage sometimes.
4. When was your first Burn?
5. What was your first impression of Black Rock City?
I went before the gate opened. Even early there are so many cars on the highway, like weird cars. We were excited to get there. There were so many. I just thought—how can I find my friends??
6. When was your last Burn?
7. What’s was your most memorable regional event experience?
We had KoreaBurn on the beach. There was so much trash on the beach, but before high tide, we cleaned it up. I asked people—let’s clean up together. Suddenly all the people came out and helped out.
8. What’s your drink?
9. Tent or RV?
10. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
When I found Matt, The Pier camp leader. When I found my friend on the playa, it’s like [smiles].
11. What is your greatest fear?
12. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
Loopy, a Japanese cartoon character.
13. Which talent, skill would you most like to have?
Passion for dream.
14. What is your favorite piece of Burning Man swag?
A kind of badge made of wood with Burning Man logo and “rite of passage”—white background and black logo. A friend of mine Jamie she gave it to me.
15. Ever been run over by an art car?
Not run over.
16. What do you love most about your region?
I like their character. People have their own character and their self-expression.
17. Which principle is most meaningful to you?
Gifting. Because it is not common in Korea and also, if you like someone, you want to present something. Also [you can gift] by itself, but that makes me more motivated to be a nice person and feel sense of community and relationship.
18. No shower, solar shower or water truck shower?
I did all of them.
19. Where do you go to be alone on the playa?
I just ride my bike and traveled around BRC one day before gate open. I did many times, but before gate open. I’m just riding.
20. What makes someone a burner?
My friend made me a Burner. Actually I want to be, but if I didn’t meet my Burner friend, then maybe I wouldn’t go…or maybe I go!
21. What is your favorite button/motto?
Be a pirate.